Universidad Politécnica de Cartagena.
Campus la Muralla, Edif. Antigones
30202 – Cartagena (Murcia)
|Address:||Campus Muralla del Mar s/n|
|Phone:||968 32 5315|
|Fax:||968 32 5973|
|Teaching:||Electromagnetic Waves, Microwave Circuits, Radar Systems|
|Office Hours:||Thursdays from 16h to 19h and Fridays from 10h to 13h.|
December 1998. PhD degree, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland. “Applications of the integral equation technique to the analysis and synthesis of multilayered printed shielded microwave circuits and cavity backed antennas“, DOI: 10.5075/epfl-thesis-1901, ID – 32378.
January 1991. Master degree in Telecommunication Engineering, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. “Spiral antenna for a warfare equipment“.
June 2009-Present. Universidad Politecnica de Cartagena. Full Professor.
October 2017-September 2018. University Califormia, Davis, United States. Visiting Professor.
July 2010-September 2010. Polytechnique University of Montreal, Canada. Invited Professor.
October 1999-May 2009. Universidad Politécnica de Cartagena, Spain. Associate Professor.
January 1995-September 1999. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland. Assistant Professor, developing the Phd.
August 1993-December 1994. European Space Agency (ESA-ESTEC), The Netherlands. Microwave Engineer for Alcatel Espacio.
April 1991-March 1993. European Space Agency (ESA-ESTEC), The Netherlands. Microwave Engineer under the program Spanish Trainee.
- JINA award to the best scientific contribution to the JINA’98 symposium, “An efficient technique for the rigorous analysis of shielded circuits and antennas of arbitrary shape“. 17-19 November 1998, pp. 57-60, Nice, France.
- COIT/AEIT award to the best Phd thesis in Basic Information and Communication Technologies, “Applications of the Integral Equation Technique to the Analysis and Synthesis of Multilayered Printed Shielded Microwave Circuits and Cavity Backed Antennas“, Thesis No. 1901. Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland, December 1998.
- URSI Young Scientist award for the following contribution to the XXVI General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science, August 1999: A. Alvarez-Melcon and Juan R. Mosig. “The Summation by Parts Technique: A Novel Procedure for the Convergence Acceleration of Series Arising in Electromagnetic Problems“. XXVI General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science. 13-21 August 1999, pp. 104, No. B4.P.24, Toronto, Canada.
- Elevated to the grade of Senior Member of the IEEE Society, March 20th, 2007.
- A. Alvarez Melcon. Distinguished teacher award for outstanding teaching activity in the Telecommunication Engineering Master, during the academic year 2015/2016. Telecommunication school, Technical University Cartagena, March 24th, 2017.
- A. Alvarez Melcon. Distinguished teacher award for outstanding teaching activity in the Telecommunication Engineering Master, during the academic year 2016/2017. Telecommunication school, Technical University Cartagena, March 8th, 2018.
- A. Alvarez Melcon. Distinguished award for Mentoring PhD Thesis in the Telecommunication Engineering School. Technical University Cartagena, January 28th, 2019.
- Clara Maximo Gutierrez, Juan Hinojosa, A. Alvarez Melcon. “Design of Wide Band-pass Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) Filters Based on Stepped Impedances”. International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU). Vol. 100, Reference AEUE52628 pp. 1-8, January 2019. ISSN 1434-8411. DOI: 10.1016/j.aeue.2018.12.022.
- Juan Hinojosa, Marcello Rossi, Adrian Saura, A. Alvarez Melcon, Felix Martinez Viviente. “Compact Bandstop Half-Mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide Filter Based on a Broadside-Coupled Open Split-Ring Resonator”. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. Vol. 66, No. 6, pp. 3001–3010, June 2018.
- A. Alvarez Melcon, Sergio Arguedas, Cristian Cogollos, Alejandro Diaz, Babette Dobrich, Juan Daniel Gallego, Benito Gimeno, Igor G. Irastorza, Antonio Lozano, Chloe Malbrunot, Pablo Navarro, Carlos Penya, Javier Redondo, Theodoros Vafeiadis, Walter Wuensch. “Axion Searches with Microwave Filters: the RADES project”. Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics. Accepted, JCAP_017P_0318, April 2018, pp. 1-23.
- C. Gomez Molina, F. Quesada Pereira, A. Alvarez Melcon, Vicente E. Boria, M. Guglielmi. “An Efficient Technique to Assess the Convergence of the Multimode Equivalent Network for Waveguide Devices”. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. Vol. 66, No. 2, pp. 651-659, February 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TMTT.2017.2785837.
- D. Martinez Martinez, A. Pons Abenza, A. Romera Perez, J. Hinojosa, F.D. Quesada Pereira, A. Alvarez Melcon, M. Guglielmi. “Advanced Filter Design Technique Based on Equivalent Circuits and Coupling Matrix Segmentation”. International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications. Vol. 46, March 2018, pp. 1055-1071. ISSN: 0098-9886.
- J. Hinojosa, Adrian Saura, A. Alvarez Melcon, Felix L. Martinez Viviente. “Electronically Tunable Microstrip Bandstop Filters Using a Varactor-Loaded Open Ring Resonator (VLORR)”. Applied Physics A. Vol. 123, No. 477, pp. 1–6, June 2017. DOI: 10.1007/s00339-017-1094-z
- D. Correas Serrano, J.S. Gomez Diaz, A. Alvarez Melcon, A. Alu. “Black Phosphorus Plasmonics: Anisotropic Elliptical Propagation and Nonlocality-Induced Canalization”. Journal of Optics, Special Issue on quantum plasmonics. Vol. 18, No. 10, September 22nd, 2016, pp. 1–16, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/2040-8978/18/10/104006.
- A. Pons Abenza, M. Martinez Mendoza, F. Quesada Pereira, A. Alvarez Melcon. “Design of Manifold Multiplexers in All-Inductive Dual-Mode Rectangular Waveguide Technology Using the Coupling Matrix Formalism”. Radio Science. Vol. 51, June 2016, pp. 1–16, DOI: 10.1002/2016RS005999.
- D. Correas Serrano, J.S. Gomez Diaz, Dimitrios Sounas, Yakir Hadad, A. Alvarez Melcon, Andrea Alu. “Non-Reciprocal Graphene Devices and Antennas Based on Spatio-Temporal Modulation”. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters. Vol. 15, June 2016, pp. 1529–1533, ISSN: 1536-1225. DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2015.2510818.
- Fernando D. Quesada Pereira, Antonio Romera Perez, Pedro Vera Castejon, and A. Alvarez Melcon. “Integral-Equation Formulation for the Analysis of Capacitive Waveguide Filters Containing Dielectric and Metallic Arbitrarily Shaped Objects and Novel Applications”. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques. Vol. 63, No. 12, December 2015, pp. 3862-3873, ISSN: 0018-9480. DOI: 10.1109/TMTT.2015.2490073.